How to create a relationship using the Canvas pane
Adding relationships to those automatically generated (for example, by the SQL Project or the OLAP Project wizard) can refine a model. For example, to create the relationship stores sell books between store and product, drag the entities from the Entities folder in the left-hand hierarchical pane onto the Canvas pane.
To create a relationship using the Canvas pane
- In the hierarchical pane of the Semantics tab of the Model Editor, select the entity to be included in the new relationship and drag it onto the Canvas pane.
- Select any other entity in the hierarchical pane that should be included in the relationship and drag it onto the entity currently in the Canvas pane.
The Relationship/New Relationship dialog box appears.
- On the Semantics tab under Phrasings, click Add.
- In the Select Phrasing dialog box, select the desired phrasing, click Add, and select the appropriate options in the phrasing dialog box.
To create a group of phrasings that work together to define the relationship, select the phrasings and click Group.
- Enter any Help Text to be displayed to the user.
- On the Database tab, select a table from the Table that contains joins to all entities in this relationship box or click Calculate Default Join Table to have English Query find the table that contains all the joins to the tables and fields that represent entities in the relationship.
The Database tab is available only when a project is enabled for SQL .
- Select This relationship is true only when the following SQL condition is true and enter the appropriate SQL condition to specify when a relationship is true.
- Select Show most recent data by default to have English Query answers generated from the most recent data in the database.