How to create an entity
To create an entity
- On the Semantics tab, right-click Semantic Objects, and then click Add Entity.
- In the Words box, enter the word that identifies the entity and press ENTER.
As many words or phrases as needed can be added. Enter the word or phrase and press ENTER after each. For example, for an entity that is represented by an Employee table, enter employee, worker, and staff member. English Query automatically adds the words or phrases with a comma separating each to the Words box.
Note The entries should appear in the singular form, not in the plural.
- Click the Add Synonym button, the ellipses button (...) to view a list of synonyms for the selected word or words.
- Click on the words from the Available words list that should be moved to the Selected words list.
To remove a word in the Selected words list, click on the word to move it to the Available words list.
When clicking outside of the synonym list box, the words, separated by commas, automatically appear in the Words box.
- Under Entity associated with, choose the way the entity is to be represented.
If the entity is represented by a table, select the table to which it is associated and the fields of the table to be displayed on the Semantics tab.
Note If Table is chosen, the Name Type option is not available.
If Field(s) are chosen to represent the entity, select the table to which the field or fields belong, and then select the specific field or fields.
If OLAP is chosen, indicate whether the entity is associated with a level, dimension, measure, property, or fact.
Note The availability of the remaining Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000 Analysis Services (OLAP) options varies with the choice of level, dimension, measure, property or fact. Choose the available options.
If the entity is not associated with a table, field, or OLAP object, choose None.
- In the Entity Type box, select a type.
- In the Name Type box, select an option.
This option is available only if the entity is to be associated with Field(s) or an OLAP level or property.
- Select Add values of entity to model if English Query is to automatically add the values in the field or set of fields represented by the entity to the model knowledge for this application.
This ensures that questions using specific database values can be answered.
Note The amount of time it takes to load these values when the application is compiled depends upon the number of field values in the database.
- Enter any Help text to be displayed to the user.
For example, when the user asks a question such as "What is a customer", help text describing a customer is displayed.
- Click Create Relationships to create new relationships for the new entity.
- Click Advanced if to further define the entity, specify a synonym for a particular instance of the entity, or set default conditions.