Outlook 2003 Integration API Reference: Overview [Outlook 2003 API Reference]
The Outlook 2003 Integration API Reference contains comprehensive documentation for seven sets of APIs that allow third-party developers to extend and integrate with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Service Pack 1:
- The Account Management API provides access to user account information and notifications of account changes.
- The Offline State API supports Outlook callbacks, notifying clients of changes in a user's connection state in Outlook—for example, from being online to being offline in Outlook.
- The Data Degradation Layer API supports clients that access an Outlook item in a preferred character format rather than the object's native character format.
- The Free/Busy API provides free/busy status information about specific user accounts within a specific time range.
- The MAPI-MIME Conversion API supports conversion between MIME objects and MAPI messages.
- The Replication API supports synchronizing folder files and Outlook items between a local store and a server.
- The Store API provides miscellaneous store functionality.
The reference for each API lists the constants, type definitions, and interfaces that a third-party developer must implement in order to use the additional functionality. The reference also lists related definitions for constants and functions that are currently available as part of public header files and assemblies. The APIs are intended to be self-contained and do not require additional header files or assemblies.
Because the Outlook 2003 Integration APIs apply only to Outlook 2003 SP1, an Outlook add-in or mail provider that uses these APIs must check for the version of Outlook that is running. See Check the Version of Outlook for a code sample.
Note Third-party developers must implement these APIs only as documented in this API reference. Certain interface members and method parameters are named as placeholders because they are reserved for the internal use of Outlook, and are subject to change without notice.