Creating Installation Components
Installation components allow you to set up custom actions that will occur when your application is deployed. You do this if your application requires additional system resources — such as databases, configuration files, Windows event logs, message queues, or services — to be set up and configured in order to work correctly.
In This Section
- Introduction to Installation Components
- Describes the purpose of installation components, the types of installation components that are available to you, and the classes they are represented by in the System namespace.
- Framework Component Deployment and the Design Process
- Describes how installation components work and the general design process to use in your applications that require them.
- Installation Process
- Provides information on what happens during the installation process.
- State Storage in the Installation Process
- Explains the usage of the Install, Commit, Rollback, and Uninstall methods and how state is maintained throughout the installation process.
- Creating Installation Components - High-Level Process
- Lists the high-level steps in the process of adding installation components to your application and configuring them to behave correctly.
- Walkthrough: Installing an Event Log Component
- Presents an example of creating and configuring an instance of the EventLog component, adding the necessary installation component to deploy it, and deploying and testing your project.
- Walkthrough: Using a Custom Action to Create a Database During Installation
- Presents an example of creating a database during installation using an installation component and a custom action.
- Adding Installers to your Service Application
- Provides directions for creating the installation components that are necessary to install, start, and run your service.
- Installing and Uninstalling Services
- Gives instructions for installing your service and registering it with the system.
- Adding Installation Components to Your Projects
- Explains how to add the necessary installation components to your application.
- Configuring Installation Components
- Explains how to change the default values for an installation component to tailor its behavior.
- Overriding Default Methods on Installation Components
- Explains how to change the default functioning of the Install, Commit, Rollback, and Uninstall methods.