Datasets are containers — caches — in which you can store data to use in your application. Datasets are a fundamental part of the ADO.NET architecture, providing both high-performance data access as well as scalability.
The following topics provide information about ADO.NET DataSet objects and how to work with them in Visual Studio.
In This Section
- Introduction to Datasets
- Provides an overview of what ADO.NET datasets are, how they can by typed or untyped, what they are used for, and how they are structured.
- Visual Studio Tools for Creating Datasets
- Describes what features Visual Studios provides to allow you to create datasets and when you would choose which tool.
- Creating Typed Datasets with the Component Designer
- Describes how to create datasets when working in a form or component.
- Creating Dataset Columns Using Expressions
- Describes how to define columns in a dataset table that are based on calculations or other expressions rather than based directly on data in a data source.
- Adding Tables to an Existing Dataset
- Describes how to create new data tables in a typed dataset created earlier.
- Adding Existing Typed Datasets to a Form or Component
- Describes how to create an instance of a dataset on a form or component.
- Adding Untyped Datasets to a Form or Component
- Describes how to create a dataset that has no associated schema.
- Handling Null Values in a Dataset
- Explains how to control the representation of columns that contain null values.
- Walkthrough: Mapping Data Source Tables to Dataset Tables
- Describes how to load data from a database into a dataset based on a different schema using data adapter table and column mappings.
- DataSet Class
- Provides reference information about the DataSet class and links to topics about each member of the class.
- Introduction to XML Schemas
- Provides details about the XML structure of dataset schemas.
- Introduction to Data Adapters
- Provides an overview of what data adapters are, what they are used for, and how they are structured.
- Introduction to DataRelation Objects
- Provides an overview of how datasets allow you to specify relationships between tables and how you can take advantage of these relationships.
- Creating XML Schemas and Datasets
- Lists topics that explain how you can use the XML Designer to create datasets.
- Populating a DataSet from a DataAdapter
- Describes how to call data-adapter methods to execute SQL commands that provide the data for a dataset.
- Adding Data to a Table
- Describes how to programmatically create rows in dataset tables.
- Introduction to Dataset Updates
- Provides an overview of the process and options for writing data to a dataset and from the dataset to a data source.
- Windows Forms Data Architecture
- Lists topics that provide information on data binding in Windows Forms.
- Web Forms Data Binding
- Lists topics that provide information on data binding in Web Forms Pages.
- Data Walkthroughs
- Provides links to step-by-step topics you can read and follow to learn more about using data in Visual Studio.
- Creating and Filling Datasets Example Topics
- Presents a series of specific example code topics for common tasks in creating and filling datasets with Visual Basic .NET.
- Manipulating Data Example Topics
- Presents a series of specific example code topics for common tasks in working with data within your application using Visual Basic .NET.