This documentation is archived and is not being maintained.
Common Language Runtime
.NET Framework 1.1
The .NET Framework provides a run-time environment called the common language runtime, which runs the code and provides services that make the development process easier.
In This Section
- Common Language Runtime Overview
- Introduces managed code, managed data, and metadata, and describes key features of the common language runtime.
- Managed Execution Process
- Describes the steps required to take advantage of the common language runtime.
- Automatic Memory Management
- Describes how the garbage collector allocates and releases memory.
- Hosting the Common Language Runtime
- Describes runtime hosts, which are sections of code that load the runtime into a process, create the application domains within the process, and load and run user code within those application domains.
- Common Type System
- Describes and defines how types are declared, used, and managed in the runtime in support of cross-language integration.