The document is archived and information here might be outdated
ML Error Messages
Visual Studio .NET 2003
The error messages generated by MASM components fall into three categories:
- Fatal errors. These indicate a severe problem that prevents the utility from completing its normal process.
- Nonfatal errors. The utility may complete its process. If it does, its result is not likely to be the one you want.
- Warnings. These messages indicate conditions that may prevent you from getting the results you want.
All error messages take the following form:
Utility: Filename (Line) : [Error_type} (Code): Message_text
- The program that sent the error message.
- The file that contains the error-generating condition.
- The approximate line where the error condition exists.
- Fatal Error, Error, or Warning.
- The unique 5- or 6-digit error code.
- A short and general description of the error condition.