This documentation is archived and is not being maintained.
C/C++ Build Tools
Visual Studio .NET 2003
Visual C++ provides the following command-line tools for viewing or manipulating build output:
- BSCMAKE.EXE builds a browse information file (.bsc) that contains information about the symbols (classes, functions, data, macros, and types) in your program. You view this information in browse windows within the development environment. (A .bsc file can also be built in the development environment.)
- LIB.EXE is used to create and manage a library of Common Object File Format (COFF) object files. It can also be used to create export files and import libraries to reference exported definitions.
- EDITBIN.EXE is used to modify COFF binary files.
- DUMPBIN.EXE displays information (such as a symbol table) about COFF binary files.
- NMAKE reads and executes makefiles.
- ERRLOOK, the Error Lookup utility, retrieves a system error message or module error message based on the value entered.