Windows Application Template
The Windows Application project template in Visual Basic and Visual C# lays the groundwork for a standard Windows application. For more information on creating a Windows application, see Creating a Windows Application Project.
Visual Basic Note This application replaces the Standard EXE application in Visual Basic 6.0. For more information, see Project Changes in Visual Basic .NET.
The template automatically adds the essential project references and files to use as a starting point for your application:
- AssemblyInfo - Used to describe the assembly and specify versioning information. For more information, see Programming with Assemblies.
- Form (.vb file for Visual Basic or .cs for Visual C#) - Contains the Windows Form.
- References to these .NET Framework namespaces:
- System - Contains fundamental classes and base classes that define commonly used values and reference data types, events and event handlers, interfaces, attributes, and processing exceptions.
- System.Data - Contains classes that constitute the ADO.NET architecture, which is the primary data access method for managed applications.
- System.Drawing - Contains classes that provide access to GDI+ basic graphics functionality.
- System.Windows.Forms - Contains classes for creating Windows-based applications that take full advantage of the rich user interface features available in the Microsoft Windows operating system.
- System.Xml - Contains classes that provide standards-based support for processing XML.