Class Library Template
You can use the Class Library template to quickly create reusable classes and components that can be shared with other projects. For more information about creating component classes, see Component Classes.
Note The Class Library template is not available in the Standard Edition of Visual Basic .NET. For more information, see Visual Basic Standard Edition Features.
Visual Basic Note The Class Library template replaces the ActiveX DLL project in Visual Basic 6.0. For more information, see Project Changes in Visual Basic .NET.
The template automatically adds the essential project references and files:
- AssemblyInfo - Used to describe the assembly and specify versioning information. For more information, see Programming with Assemblies.
- Class (.vb file for Visual Basic or .cs for Visual C#) - Contains the empty class module.
- References to these .NET Framework namespaces:
- System - Contains fundamental classes and base classes that define commonly used values and reference data types, events and event handlers, interfaces, attributes, and processing exceptions.
- System.Data - Contains classes that constitute the ADO.NET architecture, which is the primary data access method for managed applications.
- System.Xml - Contains classes that provide standards-based support for processing XML.