Configuration File Schema
Configuration Files are standard XML files. The .NET Framework defines a set of elements that implement configuration settings. This section describes the configuration schema for the machine configuration file, application configuration files, and the security configuration file.
You need to be familiar with XML if you want to directly edit the configuration files. XML tags and attributes are case-sensitive
In This Section
- <configuration> Element
- Describes the <configuration> element, which is the top-level element for all configuration files.
- Startup Settings Schema
- Describes the elements that specify which version of the common language runtime to use.
- Runtime Settings Schema
- Describes the elements that configure assembly binding and runtime behavior.
- Remoting Settings Schema
- Describes the elements that configure client and server applications that implement remoting.
- Network Settings Schema
- Describes the elements that specify how the .NET Framework connects to the Internet.
- Cryptography Settings Schema
- Describes elements that map friendly algorithm names to classes that implement cryptography algorithms.
- Configuration Sections Schema
- Describes the elements used to create and use configuration sections for custom settings.
- Trace and Debug Settings Schema
- Describes the elements that specify trace switches and listeners.
- ASP.NET Settings Schema
- Describes each of the configuration sections in the <system.web> section of Web.config files and shows the full syntax that each section supports.
- Configuring Applications
- Describes how to configure security, assembly binding, and remoting in the .NET Framework.