Creating ASP.NET Web Service Projects
You can start a project that includes the necessary files for creating an XML Web service in either Visual Basic or Visual C# by using the project templates provided by Visual Studio.
To create an XML Web service project
- On the File menu, point to New, and then click Project.
- In the New Project dialog box, select either the Visual Basic Projects or the Visual C# Projects folder.
- Click the ASP.NET Web Service icon.
- Enter the address of the Web server on which you will develop the XML Web service. For example, use "http://MyServer/Application" or simply "http://MyServer" to develop in the root directory.
Note For some project types, the Name textbox is unavailable because specifying the location sets the project name instead. For example, Web applications and XML Web services are located on a Web server and derive their name from the virtual directory specified on that server.
- Click OK to create the project.
Visual Studio automatically creates the necessary files and references to support an XML Web service. When completed, the IDE displays the .asmx file in Design view. For more information, see ASP.NET Web Service Projects in Visual Studio.