This documentation is archived and is not being maintained.
Programming Basics Namespaces in Visual Studio
The fundamental programming namespaces in the .NET Framework include:
- System.Collections - contains interfaces and classes that define various collections of objects, such as lists, queues, arrays, hashtables, and dictionaries.
- System.IO - contains types that allow synchronous and asynchronous reading and writing on data streams and files.
- System.Text - contains classes representing ASCII, Unicode, UTF-7, and UTF-8 character encodings; abstract base classes for converting blocks of characters to and from blocks of bytes; and a helper class that manipulates and formats String objects without creating intermediate instances of String.
- System.Threading - provides classes and interfaces that enable multithreaded programming. This namespace includes a ThreadPool class that manages groups of threads, a Timer class that enables a delegate to be called after a specified amount of time, and a Mutex class for synchronizing mutually exclusive threads. System.Threading also provides classes for thread scheduling and wait notification.
In the Visual Studio Documentation
- Walkthrough: Authoring a Simple Multithreaded Component with Visual Basic
- Provides step-by-step instructions that include how to use the System.Threading.Thread object to add multiple threads of execution to your component.
- Creating File System and Timer Components
- Introduces components that respond to changes to files and directories, raise events on a schedule, or monitor and interact with Windows processes.
- Walkthrough: Creating Your Own Collection Class (Visual Basic)
- Provides step-by-step instructions for how to inherit from a class in System.Collections to create simple, strongly typed collection with Visual Basic.
- C# Tutorials
- Lists topics that demonstrate threading, attributes, delegates, events, and collection classes that make use of System.Collections; an unsafe code tutorial that covers the System.Thread class; and an indexers tutorial that covers System.IO.
- Processing Drives, Folders, and Files (Visual Basic)
- Lists topics that discuss using the System.IO namespace in Visual Basic.
- Introduction to the .NET Framework Class Library in Visual Studio
- Provides an overview of the namespaces in the .NET Framework.