Datasets are containers — caches — in which you can store data to use in your application. Datasets are a fundamental part of the ADO.NET architecture, providing both high-performance data access as well as scalability.
The following topics provide information about ADO.NET DataSet objects and how to work with them in Visual Studio.
In This Section
Introduction to Datasets
- Provides an overview of what ADO.NET datasets are, how they can by typed or untyped, what they are used for, and how they are structured.
Visual Studio Tools for Creating Datasets
- Describes what features Visual Studios provides to allow you to create datasets and when you would choose which tool.
Creating Typed Datasets with the Component Designer
- Describes how to create datasets when working in a form or component.
Creating Dataset Columns Using Expressions
- Describes how to define columns in a dataset table that are based on calculations or other expressions rather than based directly on data in a data source.
Adding Tables to an Existing Dataset
- Describes how to create new data tables in a typed dataset created earlier.
Adding Existing Typed Datasets to a Form or Component
- Describes how to create an instance of a dataset on a form or component.
Adding Untyped Datasets to a Form or Component
- Describes how to create a dataset that has no associated schema.
Handling Null Values in a Dataset
- Explains how to control the representation of columns that contain null values.
Walkthrough: Mapping Data Source Tables to Dataset Tables
- Describes how to load data from a database into a dataset based on a different schema using data adapter table and column mappings.
- Provides reference information about the DataSet class and links to topics about each member of the class.
Introduction to XML Schemas
- Provides details about the XML structure of dataset schemas.
Introduction to Data Adapters
- Provides an overview of what data adapters are, what they are used for, and how they are structured.
Introduction to DataRelation Objects
- Provides an overview of how datasets allow you to specify relationships between tables and how you can take advantage of these relationships.
Creating XML Schemas and Datasets
- Lists topics that explain how you can use the XML Designer to create datasets.
Populating a DataSet from a DataAdapter
- Describes how to call data-adapter methods to execute SQL commands that provide the data for a dataset.
Adding Data to a Table
- Describes how to programmatically create rows in dataset tables.
Introduction to Dataset Updates
- Provides an overview of the process and options for writing data to a dataset and from the dataset to a data source.
Windows Forms Data Architecture
- Lists topics that provide information on data binding in Windows Forms.
Web Forms Data Binding
- Lists topics that provide information on data binding in Web Forms Pages.
- Provides links to step-by-step topics you can read and follow to learn more about using data in Visual Studio.
Creating and Filling Datasets Example Topics
- Presents a series of specific example code topics for common tasks in creating and filling datasets with Visual Basic .NET.
Manipulating Data Example Topics
- Presents a series of specific example code topics for common tasks in working with data within your application using Visual Basic .NET.