Guidelines for content transition animations
Content transition animations let you change the content of an area of the screen while keeping the container or background constant. New content fades in. If there is existing content to be replaced, that content fades out.
- Use an entrance animation when there is a set of new items to bring into an empty container. For example, after the initial load of an app, part of the app's content might not be immediately available for display. When that content is ready to be shown, use a content transition animation to bring that late content into the view.
- Use content transitions to replace one set of content with another set of content that already resides in the same container within a view.
- When bringing in new content, slide that content up (from bottom to top) into the view against the general page flow or reading order.
- Introduce new content in a logical manner, for example, introduce the most important piece of content last.
- If you have more than one container whose content is to be updated, trigger all of the transition animations simultaneously without any staggering or delay.
- Don't use content transition animations when the entire page is changing. In that case, use the page transition animations instead.
- Don't use content transition animations if the content is only refreshing. Content transition animations are meant to show movement. For refreshes, use fade animations.
[This article contains information that is specific to Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps and Windows 10. For Windows 8.1 guidance, please download the Windows 8.1 guidelines PDF .]
- For designers
- Guidelines for add and delete
- Guidelines for drag animations
- Guidelines for edge-based UI animations
- Guidelines for fade animations
- Guidelines for page transitions animations
- Guidelines for pointer click animations
- Guidelines for reposition animations
- Guidelines for pop-up UI animations
- For developers (XAML)
- Animations overview
- Animating content transitions
- Quickstart: Animating your UI using library animations
- ContentThemeTransition class
- For developers (HTML)
- HTML animation library sample
- enterContent function
- exitContent function