This documentation is archived and is not being maintained.
How Can I Build Faster?
This topic contains tips for reducing the amount of time it takes to build a project.
- Reduce the number of header files Visual C++ must include and check for every build.
- Use precompiled headers. See /Y (Precompiled Headers) for more information.
- When calling cl.exe directly, do not invoke the compiler once for every source file; pass all source files to cl.exe in the same invocation to create .obj files.
- Use minimal rebuild; see /Gm for more information.
- Use incremental linking; see /INCREMENTAL for more information.
- Use #pragma once, when appropriate. For example, if your headers use include guards.
- Dynamically link to the CRT; see /MD for more information.
Additional topics include: