Redistributing the .NET Framework
Applications and controls written for the .NET Framework require the .NET Framework to be installed on the computer where the application or control runs.Microsoft provides a redistributable installer, Dotnetfx.exe, that contains the common language runtime and .NET Framework components that are necessary to run .NET Framework applications.
Depending on the version of the .NET Framework you are using, the capabilities of the redistributable installer vary, as follows:
- For the .NET Framework version 1.0, Microsoft provides a localized version of Dotnetfx.exe for each of the eight languages that the .NET Framework supports.
- For the .NET Framework version 1.1, Microsoft provides 25 versions of the Dotnetfx.exe core redistributable installer. Each of these provides the Setup user interface in a different language. However, the localized resources for each supported language are stored separately, in 25 corresponding language packs; these must be installed separately. .
The .NET Framework requires a license agreement that gives you specific rights to redistribute Dotnetfx.exe. If you have previously installed the .NET Framework SDK or Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, or have downloaded Dotnetfx.exe from the Web, you have accepted the license agreement for Dotnetfx.exe.
You can manually launch and install Dotnetfx.exe on a computer, install it across a network using an electronic software distribution tool, or it can be launched and installed as part of the setup program for a .NET Framework application. If you have previously installed the .NET Framework SDK or Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, you do not need to install Dotnetfx.exe.
In This Section
- Where To Obtain the .NET Framework Redistributable Package
- Provides download locations for Dotnetfx.exe and information about the legal distribution of the .NET Framework.
- Dotnetfx.exe Deployment Scenarios
- Provides deployment scenarios for distributing Dotnetfx.exe using an electronic software distribution tool, manually installing Dotnetfx.exe from a network share, intranet site, or the Microsoft Web site, and creating a single setup project to install a .NET Framework application and Dotnetfx.exe.
- Installing Localized Versions of Dotnetfx.exe
- Provides download locations for localized versions of Dotnetfx.exe. This information applies only to the .NET Framework version 1.0.
- Minimum Configuration Requirements
- Describes the minimum configuration requirements for a computer where Dotnetfx.exe is to be installed.
- Deploying Applications
- Describes the basic features the .NET Framework provides that make it easier to deploy a variety of applications.