Servicing is the manner in which you update a deployed run-time image with updates, fixes, and new software.
During the design phase, consider how you plan to service your run-time image after it is deployed. By adding servicing capabilities to your run-time image, you can update your device with critical fixes. You can improve the security of your device by keeping your run-time image up to date with Microsoft QFEs, application fixes, or other updates.
When you consider the different servicing scenarios, consider the number of devices in the field, the potential security risks that the devices are susceptible to, and the most efficient way to update them.
In This Section
- Run-Time Image Replacement
- This method of servicing replaces the entire run-time image on a device with an updated run-time image. Components are updated, or added, to your configuration in Target Designer. For some types of devices, such as bootable CD-ROMs or network-hosted images, this is the only available method of servicing a run-time image.
- Automatic Run-Time Image Updating
- This method of servicing uses an automatic updating software agent, such as Device Update Agent, that is included on the run-time image. This agent communicates with a server or polls a particular location for updates.
You must enable and configure automatic updating support in your run-time image before it is deployed.
- Manual Run-Time Image Updating
- This method of servicing requires someone to manually update each device in the field with specific updates. Although this method offers the greatest flexibility, it can be time-consuming and costly.
- Design a Run-Time Image
- Describes the design phase of the development process. During this phase you can choose the components and resources that are required for your run-time image.
- Add Security Features to a Run-Time Image
- Describes the security features you can add to your run-time image.
- Manage and Service a Run-Time Image
- Describes how to manage and service a deployed run-time image.
© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.