Fonts (Windows CE 5.0)
Microsoft® Windows® CE 5.0 supports TrueType and raster font technologies, but only one font technology can be used on a specified OS design.
After you choose TrueType or raster font technology during OS design, you cannot change technologies with an application.
TrueType is the default in Windows CE, but you can implement raster technology in your OS design by adding the Raster Fonts Support Catalog item from the Platform Builder Catalog to your OS design.
In Windows CE, a font is a collection of glyphs that share a common design. A font is characterized by its typeface, style, and size.
- The font typeface determines the specific characteristics of the glyphs, such as the relative width of the thick and thin strokes used in any specified character.
- The style determines the font weight and slant. Font weights can range from thin to black. Slants can be roman (upright) or italic.
- The size of a font is the distance from the bottom of a lowercase g to the top of an adjacent uppercase M, measured in points. A point is approximately one seventy-second (1/72) of an inch.
Note Windows CE includes no usable system font, so you must load at least one font so that your application can have text output.
In This Section
- Fonts Catalog Items
- Provides descriptions and Sysgen variable information for the Catalog items that appear under the Fonts node in the Platform Builder Catalog.
- Fonts OS Design Development
- Provides information on the types of fonts available to include in an OS design, components and modules that implement the font functionalities, and sysgen variables that enable font functionalities.
- Font Registry Settings
- Explains the registry settings required to configure your OS design or applications to enable the required font functionalities.
- Fonts Migration
- Provides information that you need to know to migrate this functionality from one version of Windows CE to another.
- Fonts Security
- Provides security information regarding Fonts and best practices for implementation
- Fonts Application Development
- Provides information on how you can use the fonts functionality in your applications.
- Fonts Samples
- Provides samples that demonstrate the use of the Font Application Programming Interface (APIs).
- Fonts Reference
- Provides reference information on the functions that are available to use in Windows CE-based applications.
- MUI Font Linking
- Explains how to work with languages that may require different fonts for display requires special considerations.
- Windows CE Features
- Provides links and information about the Catalog-selectable technologies and functionality that can be included in OS designs.
Send Feedback on this topic to the authors