Device Update Agent (Windows Embedded Standard 2009)
Device Update Agent (DUA) enables you to update a run-time image remotely. DUA is a service that runs on your run-time image and performs administrative tasks, such as copying files, creating registry keys, or executing processes.
DUA polls a specific remote or local path for a script file. When this script file is found, the script immediately runs.
Device Update Agent includes a script compiler, dusc.exe. This compiler is used to compile script files to a program that the DUA service can execute.
In some cases, you cannot gain physical access to your device after it has been deployed. You can place commands in the DUA script, run the scripts through the script compiler, and then place the resulting file into a folder that is monitored by the Device Update Agent service. In this manner, you can send commands remotely to your device.
The DUA uses simple command sequences that are pulled from the file. The registry is configured with the name of the folder from which the Device Update Agent gets the command file. You can also manually copy the command file to the folder that is monitored by the Device Update Agent service. Typically, this file is delivered to the DUA over a network or on physical media. If the device running the DUA is connected to a network, the DUA can download additional command files.
- How to Create a DUA Script for a QFE Update
Describes the end-to-end procedure for creating a DUA script for a QFE.
- How to Configure DUA to Poll a Web Server
Describes the end-to-end procedure for configuring DUA to poll a Web server.
- How to Configure DUA to Poll a Media Device
Describes the end-to-end procedure for configuring DUA to poll a media device.
- Tutorial: Using Device Update Agent
Provides a step-by-step procedure for using Device Update Agent.
- Adding the Device Update Agent Component to Your Run-Time Image
Describes the components to add to your run-time image to support DUA.
- Configuring the Device Update Agent Component to Poll a Media Device
Describes how to configure the DUA component to poll a media device.
- Configuring the Device Update Agent Component to Poll a Web Server
Describes how to configure the DUA component to poll a Web server.
- Update System Files by Using DUA
Describes how to update system files by using DUA.
- Deploying the Device Update Program
Describes how to deploy the device update agent program to a Web server or media device.
- Web Server Configuration for DUA
Describes the Web server configuration requirements for DUA.
- Viewing the Device Update Agent Service Actions
Describes how to view the event log to track DUA service actions.
- Starting and Stopping the Device Update Agent Service
Describes how to start and stop the DUA service.
- QFE File and Registry Update Identification
Describes how to identify the contents of a QFE file and create a script for those updates.
- DUA Security Considerations
Describes some of the security considerations to make when you implement DUA.
- Device Update Script
Describes the device update script conventions and syntax.
- DUA Settings Reconfiguration
Describes how to change existing DUA settings on a deployed run-time image.
- Troubleshooting Device Update Agent
Describes how to troubleshoot Device Update Agent.