Get set up
It's easier than you think to get set up. Follow these instructions and start creating Windows Store apps and Windows Phone Store apps.
To develop Store apps, you need the latest version of Windows. If you have Windows 8, follow this link for the free update to Windows 8.1. (If you have an older version of Windows, you can also purchase Windows 8.1 online.)
Are you an MSDN subscriber? You can get ISO and .msi downloads here:
Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 helps you design, code, test, and debug your apps.
If you don't already have Visual Studio 2013, click this link to install the free Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows. This download includes device and phone simulators for testing your apps:
If you already have Visual Studio Professional 2013 or a higher edition, get Update 3 for Visual Studio 2013 to add the Windows Phone development tools and other enhancements to your existing installation:
You also need to install the Windows Phone 8.1 emulators:
It’s important to test your Windows Phone Store apps on a real phone. Before you can deploy apps to your Windows Phone, you have to register the phone for development.
- Connect your phone to your PC.
- Run the Developer Phone Registration tool (phonereg.exe). (This tool is automatically installed when you install Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows with Update 2 or later, or when you update an existing copy of Visual Studio 2013 to Update 2 or later.)
For more detailed instructions, see Register your Windows Phone device for development.
Now that you've installed the tools you need, you need a developer license or a developer account. A developer license is free and lets you develop Store apps, but you need a developer account to sell your apps in the Windows Store and the Windows Phone Store.
- To get a developer license, just launch Visual Studio. You'll be prompted to get a developer license.
- To get a developer account, go to the Sign up page.
After you've installed the tools and gotten a developer license or a developer account, use our tutorials to create your first app:
- Create your first app tutorials
For the complete list of tools and downloads, see Downloads.