Windows Store Device Apps for Cameras
Camera manufacturers can differentiate their hardware by creating a Windows Store device app for camera. This is a Windows Store device app that extends the functionality in Windows for adjusting camera settings, so that you can associate a custom user interface and special settings or effects with your camera.
Note on languages: Some of the links on this page point to documentation that has been translated into multiple languages. Each of these links has an asterisk (*) next to it. The following languages are available for these documents:
The Built-in Camera Experience in Windows 8
The following resources describe the built-in functionality for capturing photos and videos using Windows 8. Any Windows Store app that captures from the camera can use these features. These apps can be entry points to expose custom settings that a Windows Store device app for camera implements.
- Camera options UI sample - This SDK sample demonstrates the API used to launch the UI for adjusting camera settings such as brightness and contrast.
- Camera capture UI sample - This SDK sample demonstrates how to use the Camera Capture UI, which lets you capture photos or videos from the camera without having to build your own UI controls.
- Media Capture sample - This SDK sample demonstrates a Windows Runtime API used to capture photos and videos.
- Capturing personal photos, video and audio in Windows Store apps - A video describing the Windows 8 user experience for taking pictures and capturing live video.
Implementing a Windows Store device App for Camera
For information about implementing a Windows Store device app for camera to extend and customize the built-in camera experience, see the following:
- Developing Windows Store device Apps for Camera * - This whitepaper provides steps and guidelines for developing a Windows Store device app for camera, including the Driver MFT extension that provides custom effects.
- Considerations for 3-Pin Cameras * - This paper describes special considerations for implementing a Driver MFT for 3-pin cameras.
- Windows Store device app for Camera Sample - This SDK sample demonstrates how to create a Windows Store device app that implements a custom UI for camera settings.
- Driver MFT Sample - This WDK sample demonstrates how to create the component that provides custom video effects for your camera. This sample is designed to work together with the Windows Store device app for Camera Sample, which provides the UI that controls the custom video effect.
Your camera’s driver must use the AvStream driver model. For more information on the AvStream driver model, see AVStream Overview in the Windows Driver Kit.
- Windows 8 Requirement: Identifying the Location of Internal Cameras - this white paper for OEMs provides requirements for identifying the physical location of built-in cameras that OEMs must implement so that internal cameras or webcams function as intended in Windows 8.