XML Paper Specification: Overview
Updated: May 31, 2013
The XML Paper Specification (XPS) provides users and developers with a robust, open and trustworthy format for electronic paper. The XML Paper Specification describes electronic paper in a way that can be read by hardware, read by software, and read by people. XPS documents print better, can be shared easier, are more secure and can be archived with confidence.
The XML Paper Specification itself is platform independent, openly published, and available royalty-free and Microsoft has integrated XPS-based technologies into Microsoft Windows, starting with the Vista operating system and the 2007 Microsoft Office system. Microsoft brings additional document value to its customers, partners, and the computing industry through the XPS-based technologies.
XPS for Hardware Developers
This continued support for XPS printing brings the next generation of document services to the Windows platform, providing high-fidelity and high-performance printing for Windows users and an extensible platform for partner innovation.
Printer manufacturers can use the extensible print architecture in Windows to deliver the following features in their printers and device drivers that support XPS Documents.
Improved Color Printing
High-Fidelity Print Output
Improved End-User Experience
Improved Spooling and Rendering
Scanner device manufacturers can generate XPS Documents at scan time and can apply digital signatures and assign rights during document acquisition.
XPS and Windows 8
- OpenXPS Document Comparison Result (Open XPS Format) [2.5 MB] [file]
- OpenXPS Elements Comparison Result (Elements) [382 KB] [file]
- OpenXPS Support in Windows
XPS Information for Hardware Developers
- Inside Windows Vista Printing [Channel 9]
- Print Driver Compatibility with Windows Vista
- Printer Installation in Windows Vista
- Printing - Architecture and Driver Support
- PrintTicket and PrintCapabilities Support in Windows
- Supporting Advanced Color in Print Drivers
- Supporting Advanced Color in Print Drivers Using XPS [441 KB] [PPT]
- Windows Color System
- XML Paper Specification [Channel 9]
- XPS and Color Printing Enhancements in Windows Vista
- XPS Sample Documents
- XPSDrv Configuration Module Implementation
- XPSDrv Filter Pipeline
Specifications and Licensing
XPS and Print - WinHEC 2007
XPS, Print and Color - WinHEC 2006
- Developing XPSDrv Print Drivers [WinHEC 2006; 1.02 MB] [PPT]
- How to Use the Windows Color System in Devices and Drivers [WinHEC 2006; 1.45 MB] [PPT]
- Inside Printer Setup and Installation for Windows Vista [WinHEC 2006; 684 KB] [PPT]
- Print Driver and XPSDrv Testing in Windows Vista [WinHEC 2006; 547 KB] [PPT]
- Using XPSDrv Print Drivers to Extend Windows Print Functionality [WinHEC 2006; 995 KB] [PPT]