Printing - Architecture and Driver Support
Microsoft-provided spooler and driver components are replaceable, so hardware vendors can easily add support for new hardware. Support for a new printer usually requires only creating new data files to use with one of the Microsoft-supplied printer drivers.
XML Paper Specification. The XML Paper Specification (XPS) defines an open document format that simplifies creating, sharing, printing, viewing, and archiving digital documents. We use XPS to optimize the print architecture of Windows Vista to significantly improve print fidelity and performance while maintaining compatibility with and support for the familiar GDI print path. See the XPS Web site.
Printing Technologies and Windows 8
- Overview of Printing in Windows 8
- Building a WSD Secure Print Device for Windows
- Developing v4 Print Drivers
Printing Technologies and Windows 7
XPS and Print - WinHEC 2008
- Authoring a Device Experience for Multifunction Printers [WinHEC 2008; 2.4 MB] [PPT]
- Print Driver Development Tools and Print Verifier [WinHEC 2008; 1.2 MB] [PPT]
- Printer Installation and Driver Management [WinHEC 2008; 1.7 MB] [PPT]
- Windows 7 Logo for Print and Document Devices [WinHEC 2008; 1.3 MB] [PPT]
- XPS Print Driver Development in Windows 7 [WinHEC 2008; 1.3 MB] [PPT]