Firmware and Boot Environment
For Plug and Play and power management support under Microsoft Windows operating systems, the system and its firmware must comply with Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Specification (ACPI).
ACPI firmware entries are the same for supporting all versions of Windows for x86 and x64 architectures. EFI firmware is required for 64-bit Windows on Intel Itanium-based systems.
Firmware and Boot Environment for Windows 8
System Firmware for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)
- Extensible Firmware Interface Specification [Intel]
- Implementing the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface with Intel's Framework [Intel]
- Installing Windows on UEFI Systems
- Microsoft EFI FAT32 File System Specification
- Microsoft PE and COFF Specification
- UEFI and Windows
- UEFI Specifications [UEFI Forum]
- UEFI Support and Requirements for Windows Operating Systems
- Windows Authenticode Portable Executable Signature Format