Windows Search Developer's Guide
Third parties can create applications that query the index for data programmatically and can extend Windows Search to index data from custom file formats and data stores. To create Windows Search applications, third-party developers must first implement a Shell data store to a achieve a reasonable user experience. For more information, see Implementing the Basic Folder Object Interfaces.
You must also download the Windows SDK for the Windows Search libraries. The Windows Search SDK Samples contains useful code samples and an interopability assembly for developing with managed code. For more information on using the code samples, see Windows Search Code Samples.
This section is organized as follows:
- Managing the Index
- Querying the Index Programmatically
- Extending the Index
- Extending Language Resources
- For community-supported message boards about Search technologies, see MSDN Forum: Windows Desktop Search Development.
- To download the Search SDK Code Samples:
- To download the Windows SDK:
- Windows Search Overview
- Windows Search Reference
- Windows Search Code Samples
- Federated Search in Windows
- Related Search Technologies
- Windows Search Glossary