Web Slice Icon Guidelines
Guidelines for using the Web Slice icon in content.
This article is organized into the following sections:
- What is the Web Slice icon?
- When do you use the Web Slice icon?
- Visual Guidelines
- Revision History
- Related Topics
Download Web Slice icon. The .zip file includes .png and .gif renderings of the icon in various sizes.
The Web Slice icon represents the Microsoft format used to create Web Slice enabled content. The Web Slice format is described in the Web Slice Format Specification - Version 0.9.
You may use the icon for free, provided that your use complies with the following guidelines.
You MAY use the icon:
- To show a link to online content that uses the Web Slice format.
- To signify that a web page is Web Slice enabled, so long as the page follows the Web Slice format specification.
- To refer to the Web Slice technology within an application, article, blog, and so on.
DO NOT use the icon:
- As a logo or icon for a Web site or online content, whether Web Slice enabled or not. The icon represents the Web Slice technology, and not the Web site or content itself.
- As a logo or icon for an application.
- As a logo or icon for any product or service, or as a feature or design element of another icon, logo, trademark or service mark.
- In any manner that expresses or implies an affiliation with, sponsorship, or endorsement by Microsoft or any third party
- The icon must be used in its entirety as shown in these guidelines.
- The icon must appear by itself with minimum spacing (25% the height of the icon) between each side of the icon and any other graphical or textual elements.
- The (green) color version of the icon is recommended. If the color version is not practicable, you may use a black & white version of the icon.
- The icon may not be distorted, warped, or displayed in any aspect ratio except the 1:1 ratio.
- Do not flip or rotate the icon.
- Do not use the icon as a repeating pattern or background element.
- The icon must be represented at 100% opacity.
Microsoft has taken steps to protect the icon in order to make the icon available for use by the community in connection with Web sites that support the Web Slice format. HOWEVER, MICROSOFT MAKES NO WARRANTIES REGARDING THE ICON, AND HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES THAT MIGHT OTHERWISE BE IMPLIED BY LAW, INCLUDING WARRANTIES AGAINST INFRINGMENT.
To ensure that the icon retains its integrity as a common visual cue to users that a Web site includes Web Slice functionality, Microsoft seeks to promote the uniform and appropriate use of the icon. All Web sites, programs and technologies where the icon is used must adhere to these guidelines, meet or exceed generally accepted standards of quality and performance, and comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. You agree promptly to correct any improper use of the icon, and any Web sites, programs, or technologies that do not comply with these requirements, upon reasonable notice from Microsoft. Microsoft reserves the right to take any action against any use of the icon that does not conform to these guidelines or that violates any applicable law.
Your use of the icon will not give you any right, title, or interest in or to the icon other than the limited permission to use it according to these guidelines. These guidelines do not grant in any way whatsoever any other right or license to any Microsoft or third party technology or proprietary rights.
- [Oct 27, 2008] Updated guidelines to clarify use of Web Slice icon within an application
- [Oct 27, 2008] Updated guidelines to consistently reference logo and icon