Copy ANSI File Into a Database Field
The VBScript code sample file WiTextIn.vbs is provided in the Windows SDK Components for Windows Installer Developers. The sample shows how a script can be used to copy a file into a text field of a Windows Installer database, and demonstrates the processing of primary key data.
The code sample also shows you the following:
- OpenDatabase method (Installer Object) and the LastErrorRecord method of the Installer Object
- OpenView method, the Commit method, and the PrimaryKeys property of the Database Object
- Fetch method and the Modify method of the View Object
- StringData property and ReadStream method of the Record Object
To use the code sample you need the CScript.exe or WScript.exe version of Windows Script Host.
To use CScript.exe to run this sample
- At the command prompt, type the following syntax:
cscript WiTextIn.vbs [path to database][table name][primary key values][column name][path to file]
Note Help is displayed if the first argument is /? or if too few arguments are specified.
To redirect the output to a file
- End the command line with the following: VBS > [path to file]. T
Note The sample returns a value of 0 (zero) for success, 1 (one) if Help is invoked, and 2 (two) if the script fails.
The following list identifies the items that you must specify:
- Specify the path to the Windows Installer database.
- Specify the name of the database table.
- Specify all the primary key values for the row, in order, and concatenated with colons.
- Specify a column name that is not a key column. This is the column that you want to receive the data.
- Specify the path to the text file that is being copied.
Note If the last argument is omitted, the current value in the field is displayed.
Build date: 11/16/2013