Resources for Android developers (Windows Store apps)
Are you an Android app developer? If so, you can use the info throughout this section to take your existing Android app development skills and start applying them to developing great apps for Windows 8. Why should you build apps for Windows 8? Here are just a few of the benefits:
- Targets millions more devices and users for your apps. You can code once and have a great app experience that scales across millions of devices from tablets to all-in-one PCs, from 10" to 27" screen sizes.
Provides a series of short, hands-on walkthroughs interspersed with concepts for Android app developers to gain experience with using Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8 to start building simple Windows Store apps for Windows 8.
We provide an API mapping index to help you find Android API equivalents to the Windows Runtime APIs so that you can jumpstart your development projects for Windows 8.
Links to blog posts for Android app developers who also want to build great apps for Windows 8.
The info throughout this section is intended for developers who are creating Android apps and who want to create similar Windows Store apps for Windows 8.
- Roadmap for Windows Store apps using C# or Visual Basic
- Roadmap for Windows Store apps using C++
- Roadmap for Windows Store apps using DirectX and C++
To successfully start creating Windows Store apps, you'll need the following at a minimum:
- A Windows Store developer account. To get one, go to the Windows Store Dashboard and follow the on-screen directions.
- Windows 8 and Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8. To get them, see Get the tools.
- A developer license for Windows 8. To get one, see Get a developer license.
- For everyone
- What's a Windows Store app?
- Windows Store app development: the basics
- Windows 8 Product Guide for Developers
- Make great Windows Store apps
- For developers
- Develop Windows Store apps using Visual Studio 2012
- Java versus C#: an introduction
- Windows Dev Camps
- Windows Store App Labs
- For designers and developers
- Download design assets for Windows Store apps
Build date: 5/21/2013