Report Designer (Visual Studio)
The Visual Studio Report Designer provides a user-friendly interface for creating robust reports that include data from multiple types of data sources.
In Visual Studio, reports are saved as client report definition (.rdlc) files. These files are based on the same schema as report definition (.rdl) files published on SQL Server Reporting Services report servers, but they are stored and processed differently than .rdl files. At run time, the .rdlc files are processed locally, and the .rdl files are processed remotely.
|The Visual Studio Report Designer is similar to the user interface in Business Intelligence Development Studio in SQL Server 2008 R2 or later, except that it does not have the preview functionality and it saves the reports in .rdlc files rather than .rdl files. For more information about Report Designer in Business Intelligence Development Studio, see Reporting Services Reports in SQL Server Books Online.|
In This Section
- Creating Client Report Definition (.rdlc) Files
- Describes the client report definition files that are created with Report Designer.
- Report Designer User Interface Reference (Visual Studio)
- Provides help for Report Designer dialog boxes.
- Report Wizard User Interface Reference (Visual Studio)
- Provides help for the Report Wizard.
Copyright © 2012 by Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.