Visual Studio Macros
A macro is a series of commands and instructions that you group together as a single command to accomplish a task automatically. Macros allow you to automate repetitive actions. Visual Studio .NET includes the Macros integrated development environment (IDE), which is used solely for creating, manipulating, editing, and running macros. The Macros IDE is separate from the Visual Studio .NET IDE.
In This Section
- Recording Macros
- Describes how to create and record macros.
- Running Macros
- Discusses various ways to run macros and pass parameters.
- Macro Recording and Running Issues
- Offers solutions to problems commonly encountered in recording and running macros.
- Editing Macros
- Describes how to edit an existing macro or manually create a new one.
- Debugging Macros
- Discusses what to do when errors occur in your macros.
- Managing Macros
- Describes the Macros Explorer and its context menus.
- Saving and Exporting Macros Files
- Describes how to save and export macro files in the Macros IDE.
- Functionality Differences Between Visual Studio Macros and Visual Studio .NET
- Describes differences in the Extensibility Model, Document object, properties, item operation, the Find method, projects, and tools options between Visual Studio macros and Visual Studio .NET.
- Referencing COM and .NET Framework Components in Macros
- Describes how to enable Visual Studio .NET macros to reference COM components by using the Tlbimp utility.
- Macros and the EnvironmentEvents Project Item
- Discusses the EnvironmentEvents template and the OnMacrosRuntimeReset event.
- Macros Security and Sharing Issues
- Discusses the primary security issues concerning macros: intellectual property protection, and virus avoidance and protection.
- Macros Samples
- Lists and describes the macros samples included in Visual Studio .NET.
- Automating Repetitive Actions by Using Macros
- Provides an overview of how to use macros to automate procedures or repeated sequences of keystrokes.
- Macros Development Environment
- Describes all the dialog boxes in the Macros IDE.
- Macros Object
- Provides details of the Macros object, which represents the Visual Studio .NET macro recorder.
- Visual Studio Macros Error Messages
- Lists all error messages associated with Visual Studio macros.
- Controlling Macros From Add-Ins
- Describes how to use the Visual Studio .NET automation model's Macros object to control macros being recorded in the IDE, including pausing and reactivating the recorder, writing code to the macro being recorded, and determining whether the recorder is currently operating.