MODIFY MEMO Command
Opens an editing window for a memo field in the current record.
MODIFY MEMO MemoField1 [, MemoField2 ...] [NOEDIT] [NOMENU] [NOWAIT] [RANGE nStartCharacter, nEndCharacter] [[WINDOW WindowName1] [IN [WINDOW] WindowName2 | IN SCREEN]] [SAME] [SAVE]
- MemoField1 [, MemoField2 ...]
- Specifies the names of the memo fields to edit. To open an editing window for a memo field in a table open in another work area, include the table alias with the field name.
- Specifies that the memo field opened can't be changed, but can be viewed and copied to the Clipboard.
- Removes the Format menu title from the Visual FoxPro system menu bar, preventing changes to font, font size, line spacing, and indentation.
- Continues program execution after the editing window is opened. The program doesn't wait for the editing window to be closed, but continues execution on the program line immediately following the line that contains MODIFY MEMO NOWAIT. If you omit NOWAIT when MODIFY MEMO is issued in a program, an editing window is opened and program execution pauses until the editing window is closed.
NOWAIT is effective only from within a program. It has no effect on MODIFY MEMO when issued from the Command window.
- RANGE nStartCharacter, nEndCharacter
- Specifies a range of characters selected when the editing window is opened. Characters are selected starting at the position specified with nStartCharacter up to (but not including) the character position of nEndCharacter. If nStartCharacter is equal to nEndCharacter, no characters are selected, and the cursor is placed at the position specified with nStartCharacter.
- WINDOW WindowName1
- Specifies a window whose characteristics the editing window takes on. For example, if the window is created with the FLOAT option of DEFINE WINDOW, the editing window can be moved. The window need not be active or visible, but it must be defined.
- IN [WINDOW] WindowName2
- Specifies a parent window in which the editing window is opened. The editing window doesn't assume the characteristics of the parent window and cannot be moved outside the parent window. If the parent window is moved, the editing window moves with it.
The parent window must first be defined with DEFINE WINDOW, and must be visible, to access the editing window.
- IN SCREEN
- Explicitly opens the editing window in the main Visual FoxPro window, after it has been placed in a parent window. An editing window is placed in a parent window by including the IN WINDOW clause.
- Prevents the editing window from coming forward as the active window. If the editing window is hidden, it is displayed but doesn't become the active window.
- Leaves the editing window open after another window is activated. If you omit SAVE, the editing window is closed when another window is activated. Including SAVE has no effect when issued from the Command window.
In the editing window, you can view or change the contents of the memo field.
In a table opened for shared access on a network, the current record is automatically locked when editing begins on one of its memo fields.
Note Syntax coloring in memo field editing windows is disabled in distributed run-time applications.
To enable syntax coloring in an editing window during development
- Right-click the editing window and choose Properties from the shortcut menu.
- Select the Syntax coloring check box.
The following example opens the
notes memo field for the first record in
employee in an editing window with a highlighted range.
CLOSE DATABASES OPEN DATABASE (HOME(2) + 'data\testdata') USE employee && Opens Employee table MODIFY MEMO notes NOEDIT RANGE 1,10 && First 10 characters selected USE