MODIFY LABEL Command
Opens the Label Designer so you can create or modify a label.
MODIFY LABEL [FileName | ?] [[WINDOW WindowName1] [IN [WINDOW] WindowName2 | IN SCREEN]] [NOENVIRONMENT] [NOWAIT] [SAVE]
- Specifies the file name for the label. If you don't specify an extension for the file name, Visual FoxPro automatically assigns an .lbx extension. If the file you specify doesn't exist or can't be found, a new label file is created.
- Displays the Open dialog box, from which you can choose an existing label or enter the name of a new label to create.
- WINDOW WindowName1
- Specifies a window whose characteristics the Label Designer takes on. For example, if the window is created with the FLOAT option of DEFINE WINDOW, the Label Designer can be moved. The window doesn't have to be active or visible, but it must be defined.
The Label Designer has a default size that can be larger than the window from which it takes its characteristics. In this case, the Label Designer still assumes the characteristics of the window in which it is placed. The upper-left corner of the Label Designer is placed at the same coordinates as the upper-left corner of the window, and extends beyond the window's borders.
- IN [WINDOW] WindowName2
- Specifies a parent window in which the Label Designer is opened. The Label Designer doesn't assume the characteristics of the parent window and cannot be moved outside the parent window. If the parent window is moved, the Label Designer moves with it.
The parent window must first be defined with DEFINE WINDOW, and must be visible to access the Label Designer.
- IN SCREEN
- Explicitly opens the Label Designer in the main Visual FoxPro window, after it has been placed in a parent window. A Label Designer is placed in a parent window by including the IN WINDOW clause.
- Included for backward compatibility with 2.x labels, preventing the environment saved with the label.
In Visual FoxPro, the data environment associated with a Visual FoxPro label is restored by setting the data environment AutoOpenTables property to true (.T.), which is the default. To make sure that the label environment is closed when the label is finished printing, set the data environment AutoCloseTables property to true (.T.), which is also the default.
When you create or modify labels, you can save the current Visual FoxPro data environment with the label definition file. Saving the Visual FoxPro data environment places additional records in the label definition table for all open tables and index files, the index order, and any relationships between the tables.
- Continues program execution after the Label Designer is opened. The program doesn't wait for the Label Designer to be closed, but continues execution on the program line immediately following the line that contains CREATE LABEL NOWAIT. If you omit NOWAIT when CREATE LABEL is issued in a program, a Label Designer is opened and program execution pauses until the Label Designer is closed.
Including the NOWAIT option has no effect on the CREATE LABEL command when issued from the Command window.
- Leaves the Label Designer open after another window is activated. If you omit SAVE, the Label Designer is closed when another window is activated. Including SAVE has no effect when issued from the Command window.