Using BizTalk Document Tracking
You can use BizTalk Document Tracking to do the following:
- Track interchanges and associated documents processed by Microsoft BizTalk Server 2002.
- Fulfill legal and/or standards requirements to keep copies of all electronic business transactions.
- Answer customer questions quickly and easily. For example, if a customer asks "When did we send trading partner A an invoice?", you can locate the date, time, and whether the trading partner returned a receipt.
- Aid in troubleshooting.
- Help resolve disputes.
Documents can be tracked either in batches or as single transactions. BizTalk Document Tracking automatically stores metadata associated with an interchange, such as source and destination information, document type, and date and time parameters. Metadata is stored automatically; however, additional fields, such as Purchase Order Date or Purchase Order Total, are captured only if you configure the BizTalk Messaging Configuration object model or BizTalk Messaging Manager to capture this information. For more information about configuring selected fields to be tracked, see Set Channel Properties and Set Tracking for Inbound Document Properties.
All tracking information—either the metadata or the fields that you configured to be tracked—is stored in the Tracking database that you configured during installation or when you configured a server group. Through the BizTalk Document Tracking user interface (UI), you can access the data stored in the Tracking database associated with a particular server group. While not all the information that is stored in the Tracking database is available through the user interface, the metadata and the fields that you configured to be tracked are readily available. For example, if you need to track when purchasing application C sent a purchase order to trading partner D and if and when trading partner D responded to the purchase order, this task can be accomplished using BizTalk Document Tracking.
The following topics are covered in this section:
- Understanding Tracking Settings for a Server Group
- Understanding Tracking Settings in BizTalk Messaging Manager
- Reliable messaging receipts are not displayed in the BizTalk Document Tracking user interface.
Did you find this information useful? Please send your suggestions and comments about the documentation to BizTalk Server Documentation Feedback@microsoft.com