Installing the Development Tools
The development tools are used to create a custom Windows XP Embedded image, based on the requirements of embedded system hardware and software.
Note There are two types of Windows XP Embedded: full and evaluation. You cannot use evaluation tools to connect to a full version of the component database. The types of the tools and of the component database must match.
Install the appropriate tools type for the component database you will be connecting to.
To install the development tools
- Insert the Windows XP Embedded installation media in the appropriate drive of your development system. If Setup does not start automatically, run the setup application, Setup.exe, located in the root folder of the installation media.
The Windows XP Embedded installation starts.
- At the Windows XP Embedded start page, choose Tools Setup.
The Windows XP Embedded Tools Setup Wizard starts.
- Choose Next.
The license agreement appears.
- Read the agreement. If you do not agree to the terms of the license agreement, choose I do not accept the terms in the license agreement, and then choose Cancel to exit the installation.
- or -
If you agree to the terms of the license agreement, choose I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then choose Next.
The Customer Information page appears.
- Type the following information:
- Your name
- The name of your company
- The Tools Product Key
A 25-character key that is included on the orange Product Key sticker on the back of the Windows XP Embedded media package. Do not use the Runtime Product Key. For more information, see "Licensing a Run-Time Image" in the Windows Embedded Studio Help.
Note The Tools Product Key is not the Product ID (PID). The PID is used when contacting Microsoft Product Support Services.
For evaluation versions of Windows XP Embedded, Product Keys can be obtained from the Windows Embedded Evaluation Kit Registration site. Evaluation versions requested from Microsoft include the Product Key with the order confirmation.
- Choose Next.
The Setup Type page appears.
- Choose Typical to install the development tools using default values. Choose Next to proceed, and then skip to step 9.
- or -
If you need to change the installation location or want to select individual product features, choose Custom. Choose Next to proceed.
- On the Custom Setup page, choose Change to modify the installation location. The items marked with an X are not installed on your computer. Clear the X from the items that you want to install, and then choose Next.
The Windows XP Embedded Server Location page appears.
- If you are setting up a development tools-only system, choose A different computer, and then type the component database server name in the Server Name box.
- or -
If you are setting up a computer to contain development tools and the component database on a single computer, choose This computer.
- If you want to change the name of the folder in which the built Windows XP Embedded run-time images are placed, choose Change, and then type the name of the folder in the dialog box that appears. Choose Next.
The Ready to Install the Program page appears.
- Choose Install.
- When the Completing the Windows XP Embedded Tools Setup Wizard page appears, choose Finish.
At this point, you have installed the development tools on your computer. You can set up your component database on this computer, or on a separate computer. For more information, see Installing the Database Engine.