DirectDraw (Windows CE 5.0)
The DirectDraw® API provides support for hardware-accelerated 2-D graphics. It offers fast access to display hardware while retaining compatibility with the Windows graphics device interface (GDI). DirectDraw is a specialized memory manager for both system and display device memory and uses hardware acceleration where available. With DirectDraw, you can allocate and manipulate both system and graphics memory, including transfers between the two.
DirectDraw for Microsoft® Windows® CE is adapted from DirectDraw version 4 for Windows-based desktop operating systems. Some capabilities from the desktop version have been extended and others have been curtailed to better suit embedded devices.
DirectDraw supports the following effects:
- Bit-block transfers (blits)
- Page flipping and multiple back buffers
- Overlays, which is placing one image surface over another on the video display
- Alpha source over destination blending, which is blending two surfaces using the source alpha image component
- Video YUV pixel formats and color conversion
- Direct video access to the frame buffer
In this Section
- DirectDraw OS Design Development
- Provides information that describes how OEMs can add and integrate DirectDraw into their OS designs.
- DirectDraw Application Development
- Provides architectural background information about DirectDraw and practical design details that you will need to know to create a DirectDraw application.
- DirectDraw Registry Settings
- Provides information about the registry settings that affect DirectDraw OS designs and applications.
- DirectDraw Security
- Describes factors that you should consider to enhance security in your DirectDraw OS design or application.
- DirectDraw Migration
- Highlights the changes that you must make so that your existing DirectDraw code works with the latest version of Windows CE.
- DirectDraw Samples
- Provides code examples for DirectDraw and descriptions of the code samples that ship with DirectDraw.
- DirectDraw Reference
- Provides individual reference descriptions for the DirectDraw programming elements.
- DirectDraw Display Drivers
- Provides information for understanding and creating display drivers that support DriectDraw.
- Graphics Device Interface (GDI)
- Provides information about basic graphics support in Windows CE through the graphics device interface (GDI).
- Provides links to information about other graphics technologies for Windows CE.
Send Feedback on this topic to the authors