Decisions to Make Before Setup
The Setup wizard will ask you to make many decisions during the installation process. It can be very difficult, if not impossible, to make some changes after the initial installation, so before running the Setup wizard, you should make the following decisions:
- Have you attached all known peripherals to the target machine? Although you can install devices later, it’s easiest to automatically detect and install as many devices as possible during the initial setup.
- On which disk do you want to install WEPOS, and what size partition do you want to use? The minimum space required is 380 MB, but the maximum disk space available is recommended, especially if you want to install options such as additional fonts and drivers. (Note that if the target machine has less than the recommended RAM, WEPOS will automatically create a pagefile and the pagefile size will be added to the partition space needed.)
- What name, if any, do you want to assign to the volume label on which you install Microsoft Windows Embedded for Point of Service? The name must be a maximum of 32 characters, with no asterisks (*) or quotation marks (' or ").
- Do you want to enable quick format? Quick format is faster, but does not check for bad sectors.
- Do you want to enable file compression? If disk space is at a premium, you may need to, but file compression will slow down the machine. File compression cannot be used for FAT32.
- Do you want to install support for additional languages in addition to the default user interface language? Options include Chinese-Simplified, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish. English is installed by default.
Note that Disk 1 contains the French, German, Italian, and Spanish language packs; Disk 2 contains Chinese-Simplified, Japanese, and Korean language packs. If you want to install languages from only one disk, you can run the Setup wizard using that disk. If you want to install languages from both Disk 1 and Disk 2, you cannot install WEPOS from the disks; instead, you need to do installation over a network. See Deployment Options for details.
- Do you want to install additional drivers? By default, WEPOS only installs the drivers of hardware attached to your POS system while setup is running. If you want the full driver support of Windows XP SP2, then you will want to install the Additional Driver Support component.
For information about installing OEM drivers not included in WEPOS or in this additional driver support component, see Adding Drivers to the WEPOS Installation CD.
- Do you want to install Windows Internet Information Services (IIS)?
- Do you want to install management tools to manage your POS devices from the computer?
- Do you want to use an advance management client to manage your POS devices?
- Do you want to install the Windows Media Player 9.0 or DirectX 9.0c? (You might want to do this, for example, if you are installing WEPOS on a computer that will also be used to run multimedia training sessions.)
- Do you want to install WEPOS from a Remote Installation Services (RIS) server, or use a network? See Deployment Options for details.