Tutorial Step 1: Creating a Catalog Item File (Windows CE 5.0)
The Catalog for Windows CE is extensible. You can supplement the technologies available in the Catalog with Catalog items you create. After writing the code for your technology, you can add the Catalog item to the Catalog.
Platform Builder builds the Catalog from a collection of Catalog item (.cec) files. A .cec file is a text file that contains the information that allows Platform Builder to display the Catalog item in Platform Builder and add the Catalog item to an OS design.
For example, a .cec file might contain the following:
- The location of Catalog item in the Catalog
- Dependencies that the item has on other items
- Names and locations of files that must be included in an OS design to enable support for the item in the run-time image
To add your Catalog item to the Catalog, you first create a .cec file for your item.
To create a Catalog item (.cec) file
- On the development workstation, launch Platform Builder.
- From the Platform Builder Tools menu, choose CEC Editor.
The CEC Editor window appears, opening a new .cec file.
- In the CEC Editor window, from the Insert menu, choose Group.
- In the Name box, type My Catalog Item Group.
- In the Description box, type This is a sample Catalog item group.
- In the Group box, type \New Item and choose OK.
The Group box tells the Catalog where to display your Catalog item.
Your item appears in a folder named New Item, which is under the top-level folder named Third Party.
- From the File menu, choose Save As.
- Navigate to the %_WINCEROOT%\Public\Common\Oak\Catalog\Cec directory.
- In the File name box, type MyItem and then choose Save.
This action saves the currently open file as MyItem.cec file, which is where you enter the information for your Catalog item.
You can now edit the .cec file to include additional information about your Catalog item.
Send Feedback on this topic to the authors