Northwind Database Installation
Some of the tutorials in this documentation show you how to display a Crystal report whose data configuration uses a programmatic logon to the Northwind database on a secure SQL Server.
In this section, you verify that you have installed the Northwind sample database that is provided with SQL Server or MSDE for use with these tutorials. Before you start, check the following:
- If you use SQL Server, Northwind may already be installed. To verify this, check that Northwind is one of the databases installed on your system.
- If you have just installed MSDE by following the instructions in the previous section, see the instructions in this section to install Northwind.
To download the latest version of the instnwnd.sql installer script
- Go to the Microsoft SQL download website: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/.
- Locate the latest version of the Northwind database installer script (SQL2000SampleDb.msi).
- Download and run the SQL2000SampleDb.msi installer. That creates a copy of the
instnwnd.sql installer script on your local hard drive in the following file directory:
C:\SQL Server 2000 Sample Databases\
You now have a copy of the instnwnd.sql installer script. Proceed to the next step procedure for installation instructions.
To install the Northwind database in MSDE
- Go to the command prompt.
- Locate the Northwind installer script named instnwnd.sql (see table).
the command prompt, change directory to the path of the installer script. Type the following
command to install the database.
osql -U sa -P [password] -i instnwnd.sql
For [password], type the system administrator password that you created earlier.
The Northwind database installs.
The install process may take several minutes.
To verify the connection to the Northwind database
- Launch Visual Studio.
- From the View menu, click Server Explorer.
Server Explorer, right-click
Data Connections, and then click
You can now test either Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication.
this is the first time you have added a connection in Visual Studio, the
Change Data Source window will
appear. Select Microsoft SQL
Server and click Continue.
- To test Windows Authentication, do the following:
- To test SQL Server Authentication, do the following:
- Type the name of your MSDE server (typically your computer name).
- Select the Use a specific name and password option.
- Type the following user name: sa.
- Type the system administrator password that you created earlier.
- Click the Select the database on the server dropdown list, and then select "Northwind."
- Click Test Connection, to verify that your installation of Northwind with either Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication is successful.
If you have chosen to use SQL Server Authentication, for security you should not use the system administrator account. Instead, to address security concerns, create a database account with more limited access for use by your web application. In the following section you learn how to create this limited access account for addressing the Northwind database.