/MAP (Generate Mapfile)
- A user-specified name for the mapfile. It replaces the default name.
The /MAP option tells the linker to create a mapfile.
By default, the linker names the mapfile with the base name of the program and the extension .map. The optional filename allows you to override the default name for a mapfile.
A mapfile is a text file that contains the following information about the program being linked:
- The module name, which is the base name of the file
- The timestamp from the program file header (not from the file system)
- A list of groups in the program, with each group's start address (as section:offset), length, group name, and class
- A list of public symbols, with each address (as section:offset), symbol name, flat address, and .obj file where the symbol is defined
- The entry point (as section:offset)
The /MAPINFO option specifies additional information to be included in the mapfile.
To set this linker option in the Visual Studio development environment
- Open the project's Property Pages dialog box. For details, see Setting Visual C++ Project Properties.
- Click the Linker folder.
- Click the Debug property page.
- Modify the Generate Map File property.
To set this linker option programmatically