User State Management API
The Windows user state management components—Folder Redirection, Offline Files, and Roaming Profiles—offer the following benefits to the enterprise:
- Consolidate user data and settings from all corporate client computers to a file server,
- Enabling enterprise ownership of user data and settings by making it easier to enforce data management and information protection policies.
- Reducing administrative costs for management tasks such as backup.
- Provide users with a consistent view of their data and settings from multiple computers.
- Enable easy computer replacement.
The User State Management API provides a unified way to configure and retrieve current status for these components.
Application developers can use this API to provide enhanced management and reporting experiences for enterprise scenarios.
The User State Management API is designed for WMI developers who use C/C++, the Microsoft Visual Basic application, or a scripting language that has an engine on Windows and handles Microsoft ActiveX objects. Familiarity with COM programming is helpful but not required. For more information about WMI, see Windows Management Instrumentation.
The User State Management API is included in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and later.