The Autoscaling Application Block
The Microsoft Enterprise Library Autoscaling Application Block (WASABi) lets you add automatic scaling behavior to your Windows Azure applications. You can choose to host the block in Windows Azure or in an on-premises application. The Autoscaling Application Block can be used without modification; it provides all of the functionality needed to define and monitor autoscaling behavior in a Windows Azure application.
The Enterprise Library Autoscaling Application Block includes the following features:
- It allows you to use the graphical Enterprise Library configuration tool to manage configuration settings.
- It allows you to configure the storage locations and logging mechanisms used by the block.
- It allows you to extend the block by adding custom autoscaling rules and actions.
This section includes the following topics to help you understand and use the Autoscaling Application Block:
- What Does the Autoscaling Application Block Do? This topic provides a brief overview that will help you understand what the block can do, and explains some of the concepts and features it incorporates. It also provides a simple example showing how you can write code to use the block. This topic is relevant to both developers and IT professionals.
- Hosting the Autoscaling Application Block. This topic describes how to host the Autoscaling Application Block, and how to configure the block. The configuration information tells the block how to connect to your application and where to store its information. This topic is especially relevant to developers.
- Key Scenarios. This section demonstrates how to implement some common scenarios using the block. The scenarios described in this topic are more relevant to developers than to IT professionals.
- The Design of the Autoscaling Application Block. This topic explains the decisions that went into designing the Autoscaling Application Block and the rationale behind those decisions.
- Extending and Modifying the Autoscaling Application Block. This topic explains how to extend the block by adding your own custom actions and metrics. This topic is especially relevant to developers.
- Deployment and Operations. This topic explains how to define your autoscaling rules and monitor the performance of the block. This topic is especially relevant to IT professionals.
For related information, see the following patterns & practices guides and documents:
- Microsoft Enterprise Library home page on MSDN
- Enterprise Library Integration Pack for Windows Azure community page on CodePlex
- Autoscaling Windows Azure applications videos on Channel9
- Developer's Guide to the Enterprise Library 5.0 Integration Pack for Windows Azure on MSDN
- Moving Applications to the Cloud, 2nd edition
- Developing Applications for the Cloud, 2ndedition
- patterns & practices Developer's Center on MSDN
Last built: June 7, 2012