Audio API Developers Guide
This topic provides developers with information about the audio buffer format used by the XNA Game Studio Audio API.
Audio Buffer Format
The byte buffer format used as a parameter for the SoundEffect constructor, Microphone.GetData method, and DynamicSoundEffectInstance.SubmitBuffer method is PCM wave data. Additionally, the PCM format is interleaved and in little-endian.
The audio format has the following constraints:
- The audio channels can be mono (1) or stereo (2).
- The PCM wave file must have 16-bits per sample.
- The sample rate must be between 8,000 Hz and 48,000 Hz.
- The interleaving for stereo data is left channel to right channel.
- Sounds Overview
- Provides a high-level overview about the capabilities of the Audio API in XNA Game Studio in addition to general audio terminology.
- Playing a Sound
- Demonstrates how to play a simple sound by using SoundEffect.
- Streaming Data from a WAV File
- Demonstrates how to stream audio from a wave (.wav) file.