Upgrading Projects to XNA Game Studio 4.0
XNA Game Studio 3.0 or XNA Game Studio 3.1 game projects must be upgraded to target XNA Game Studio 4.0 for development in Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and XNA Game Studio 4.0. This upgrade is necessary in every case, regardless of the complexity or simplicity of the project.
XNA Game Studio 4.0 does not provide upgrade support for any XNA Game Studio versions prior to 3.0.
For a quick understanding of the features introduced in XNA Game Studio 4.0, see What's New in XNA Game Studio 4.0.
Upgrading Your Projects
Projects created in XNA Game Studio 3.0 or XNA Game Studio 3.1 must be upgraded to work with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and XNA Game Studio 4.0.
The Project Upgrade Wizard for XNA Game Studio 4.0 executes automatically whenever you open a project or solution in Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 that was created for XNA Game Studio 3.0 or XNA Game Studio 3.1. The instructions provided by the Project Upgrade Wizard will lead you through the upgrade process.
The Project Upgrade Wizard only upgrades projects so that their structure is compatible with XNA Game Studio 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010. Your game code may still require further update to comply with changes in APIs for XNA Game Studio 4.0. The upgrade wizard does not change your code.
The chief tasks that the Project Upgrade Wizard performs are:
- Updates XNA Framework references and properties from XNA Framework 3.0/3.1 to XNA Framework 4.0.
- Updates the import targets file references in the game project for what is required for XNA Framework 4.0.
- Updates the import targets file references in the content project for what is required for XNA Framework 4.0.
- Relocates content folders from within game projects to their own content projects, and updates the code project's content references to the new content project.
- Establishes the Game Profile and C# version settings for each game project according to the platform defaults.
Projects for Zune are excluded from the upgrade process because the platform is not supported in XNA Game Studio 4.0. For information about how to convert Zune projects to Windows Phone, see the topic Migrating from Zune to Windows Phone.