Attaching and Detaching an XML Schema [Word 2003 XML Reference] -- Microsoft Office Word 2003 XML Software Development Kit
Important The information set out in this topic is presented exclusively for the benefit and use of individuals and organizations outside the United States and its territories or whose products were distributed by Microsoft before January 2010, when Microsoft removed an implementation of particular functionality related to custom XML from Word. This information may not be read or used by individuals or organizations in the United States or its territories whose products were licensed by Microsoft after January 10, 2010; those products will not behave the same as products licensed before that date or licenses for use outside the United States.
Attaching an XML schema to a document
To attach a schema to the active document:
- In the XML Structure task pane, click Templates and Add-Ins, and then click the XML Schema tab.
- In the Checked schemas are currently attached box, select the
check box for each XML schema you want to attach to the document. This makes the
elements in this schema appear in two locations:
- In the Available elements list box on the XML Structure task pane
- In the Apply XML elements right-mouse menu when you right-click on content in the document
Note The list of schemas represents all the schemas that are available in the Schema Library. To add more schemas to the list, click Add Schema.
Figure 1. The XML Schema tab of the Templates and Add-ins dialog box.
Figure 2. The Schema Library dialog box.
Detaching an XML schema from a document
To detach a schema from the active document:
- On the Tools menu, click Templates and Add-Ins, and then click the XML Schema tab.
- In the Checked schemas are currently attached box, clear the check box for each schema you want to detach from the document and then click OK in the Templates and Add-ins dialog box.
- Click Yes to the warning that all XML tags in the schema's namespace will be removed.
For more information on the option settings used to configure the XML features in Word, see Understanding XML Options. For suggestions on troubleshooting problems that may occur while using these features, see Troubleshooting XML Documents in Word. For additional information about the Schema Library, see Schema Library.
For additional information and examples that describe or demonstrate the the use of XML schemas with XML documents in Microsoft Office Word 2003, see the following articles:
For additional information and examples that describe or demonstrate the end-to-end process of working with XML documents in Microsoft Office Word 2003, see the following articles:
©2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Permission to copy, display and distribute this document is available at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/odcXMLRef/html/odcXMLRefLegalNotice.asp