Tracing and Diagnosability for WDF Drivers
This paper discusses how to implement event tracing using the Windows software trace preprocessor (WPP) in a Windows Driver Foundation (WDF) driver.
File name: WPP_intro.docx
Microsoft Word file
Software tracing for drivers is usually based on Event Tracing for Windows (ETW), a kernel-level facility that logs trace messages for both kernel-mode and user-mode processes. Because ETW can be somewhat complicated to use, most driver developers use the Windows software trace preprocessor (WPP), which simplifies and enhances the process of instrumenting a driver for ETW tracing.
- WPP software tracing basics
- Trace message functions and macros
- Supporting software tracing in a driver
- Tools for software tracing
- How to run a software trace session