Windows PowerShell Formatting Files
Windows PowerShell provides several formatting files (.format.ps1xml) that are located in the installation directory (
$pshome). Each of these files defines the default display for a specific set of .NET Framework objects. These files should never be changed. However, you can use them as a reference for creating your own custom formatting files.
- Defines the display of objects in the Certificate store such as x.509 certificates and certificate stores.
- Defines the display of miscellaneous .NET Framework objects such as CultureInfo, FileVersionInfo, and EventLogEntry objects.
- Defines the display of file system objects such as file and directory objects.
- Defines the different views used by the Get-Help cmdlet, such as the detailed, full, parameters, and example views.
- Defines the display of the objects generated by Windows PowerShell core cmdlets, such as the objects returned by the Get-Member and Get-History cmdlets.
- Defines the display of trace objects such as those generated by the Trace-Command cmdlet.
- Defines the display of registry objects such as key and entry objects.
Other ResourcesWriting a Windows PowerShell Cmdlet