Mobile Broadband Testing Overview
This document outlines the test cases that are implemented to test the Mobile Broadband (MB) device, also known as Wireless WAN – WWAN device, to make sure that it will function correctly with the Windows 7 operating system and all later versions of Windows. To test Mobile Broadband devices, use the Microsoft Windows Logo Kit (WLK) and Driver Test Manager (DTM) test kit. To be in compliance with the Mobile Broadband Logo Program, and to make sure that the device and driver function correctly with Microsoft Windows, you must run all the tests that DTM identifies as required for the device.
Using the Test Procedure Help Topics
This test procedure is divided into the following sections:
- Overview: Describes hardware and software requirements for running the Mobile Broadband test. This section also outlines a basic procedure for how to successfully run the tests.
- Preparing: Describes how to configure the system for “Designed for Windows” logo testing.
- Running: Describes the procedure to run the Mobile Broadband test.
- Troubleshooting: Describes ways to diagnose and fix common problems that you might encounter during Mobile Broadband testing.
Mobile Broadband Tests
The specific device and the system capabilities where the device is tested determine which tests you must run. The tests can be divided into Non-Interactive Tests and Interactive Tests. During the Interactive Tests, the tester must perform certain operations, such as plugging and unplugging the device, replacing the SIM, and so on.
Run time: approximately 3 hours
The following hardware is required to run the Mobile Broadband tests:
- 1 computer that runs DTM Studio
DTM studio provides an interface to control and configure the DTM Controller. The DTM Controller sends jobs to the DTM clients on the DTM system pool. All requirements for logo submission are enforced when the DTM test execution job is configured.
- 1 computer that runs DTM Controller
This computer must be running the Windows Server 2003 operating system. The DTM Controller reserves DTM clients in the system pool for test jobs. The DTM Controller dispatches commands and tests to be run by the DTM clients.
Note This can be the same computer that runs DTM Studio.
- 1 DTM client computer
This computer must have the test device and driver installed (with Mobile Broadband data service activated). When a test job is run, the DTM clients copy NDISTest from the DTM Controller locally onto the machine and run NDISTest locally. The DTM Controller is used to gather test results.
- The following SIM cards:
- ‘Home’ SIM with data provisioned
- ‘Roaming’ SIM with data provisioned
- ‘Home’ SIM with no data provisioned
- ‘Roaming’ SIM with no data provisioned
- ‘Bad’ SIM
- ‘Inactive’ SIM
The following figure shows the relationship between these three computer components:
Send feedback on this topic
Built on December 10, 2009