Build the Plug-in Developer Tool
[Applies to: Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0]
This walkthrough demonstrates how to build a plug-in registration tool provided in the SDK and to add it as an external tool to Visual Studio. This tool is a console-based application, which is useful for registering plug-ins that are undergoing development. The tool un-registers an existing version of a plug-in and then registers another (newer) version. For more information about the tool sample code, see Sample Code.
To complete this walkthrough, you will need the following:
- Visual Studio 2005, Visual Studio 2008, or Visual C# Express.
- Access to the tool's source code in the SDK\Tools\PluginDeveloper folder of the SDK installation.
- Network access to a Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 server.
- A Microsoft Dynamics CRM system account.
- Access to the SDK\Bin folder.
You can build the sample directly on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server assuming all of the prerequisites are met.
Build the Visual Studio Solution
- Navigate to the SDK\Tools\PluginDeveloper folder.
- Double-click the PluginDeveloper.sln file to open the solution in Visual Studio.
- In the Solution Explorer, right-click the project name, PluginDeveloper, and then click Add Web Reference.
- In the dialog box, enter the URL for the CrmService Web service as follows:
Use the appropriate server name and TCP port for your Microsoft Dynamics CRM server.
- Enter a Web reference name of CrmSdk and click Add Reference.
- Double-click the register.xml file in Solution Explorer and modify the XML code to use the correct server, organization, domain, and user name for your Microsoft Dynamics CRM installation. The user name should be a system account that has the Administrator or System Customizer roles in Microsoft Dynamics CRM. You must also add that user account to the Deployment Administrators group in Deployment Manager.
- Compile the project by clicking Build, and then clicking Build Solution.
Add the Tool to Visual Studio
You can register the Plug-in Developer tool as an External Tool for Visual Studio.
- Open Visual Studio.
- Click Tools, click External Tools, and then click Add. If you have not yet added any tools, click [New Tool 1].
- In the Title field, type CRM Plug-in Developer Tool.
- In the Command field, click the ellipsis button (…) and navigate to the SDK\Tools\ PluginDeveloper\bin\Debug\PluginDeveloper.exe file that you built in the previous task. Click Open.
- Click OK.
You have now added the tool to the Visual Studio Tools menu.
© 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.