Customizations using the Microsoft Dynamics CRM SDK
[Applies to: Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0]
The Microsoft Dynamics CRM SDK, technical articles, and sample code published on the MSDN Web site (http://msdn.microsoft.com/mbs/default.aspx), and information released by the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Developer Support Team are included in the area of customizations using the Microsoft Dynamics CRM SDK. The specific actions and their levels of supportability and upgradeability are as follows:
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM SDK. Use of the Web services CrmDiscoveryService, CrmService and MetadataService is fully supported. We strive to keep the APIs backward compatible but reserve the right to change APIs for additional features. Entity attributes may also change in future versions. For more information, see Developing Custom Solutions.
- Form and Field Events (onChange, onLoad, and onSave). The ability to add custom logic to forms through the onChange event for all field types and onLoad and onSave form events is supported. Custom logic in these events will be fully upgradeable if the code interacts with the form and field properties defined in the Microsoft Dynamics CRM SDK. However, any direct interaction with the HTML Document Object Model (DOM) will probably not be upgradeable. The structure of the forms and the HTML elements used in the forms could change in future releases. For more information about what is supported, see Form Scripting.
- Important: Using scripts to hide HTML form elements that display fields, sections, or tabs is unsupported and is not upgradeable.
- Customization File. You can use the customizations.zip file to import your customizations into an installation of Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Modifications to the FormXML, SavedQueries, SiteMap and ISV.Config elements are supported. Changes to the file must conform to XSD schema supplied in this SDK. For more information, see Import/Export Schema.
- SiteMap. The ability to control the navigation model by modifying the SiteMap is fully supported and upgradeable. Changes to the SiteMap must conform to XSD schema supplied in this SDK. For more information, see SiteMap Schema.
- Client Extensions. The ability to link Microsoft Dynamics CRM with third-party applications or actions by using this configuration file is fully supported and upgradeable. Calling back to the opening window by using window.opener or other methods is supported but is not upgradeable. The DOM could change in future releases, and any code you write that uses the DOM could be broken by applying updates or upgrading to a newer version. Changes to the configuration file must conform to XSD schema supplied in this SDK. For more information, see ISV Configuration File Schema.
- Plug-ins. The ability to create custom business logic using the plug-in mechanism described in this SDK is fully supported and upgradeable. For more information, see Plug-ins.
- Workflow. The ability to create custom workflow activities (assemblies) to be called from workflow rules is fully supported and upgradeable. For more information, see Workflows.
- Help files. The ability to add custom help files for the Web client is fully supported. Help file changes are not supported by Microsoft Dynamics CRM upgrades or reinstallation. For instructions about how to preserve your changes to help files, see Customizing Online Help.
- ISV folder. Adding custom Web pages supporting files to the <serverroot>\ISV\<ISV name> folder is fully supported.
- Assembly folder. Adding your plug-in and custom workflow activity assemblies to the %installdir%\server\bin\ folder is supported.
© 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.